View Mobile Site
 

Ask the Expert

Signal Photos

UPDATE: Castaic man pleads no contest to attempted murder in savage bar beating

Posted: July 24, 2014 12:46 p.m.
Updated: July 24, 2014 4:33 p.m.
 

Editor's note: Corrects that bar beating occurred last year/

A Castaic man has pleaded no contest to attempted murder in the vicious beating of a disabled man last year. He now faces 26 years in state prison.

Ronald Lee Holt, 45, of Castaic, appeared in San Fernando Superior Court Wednesday and entered a plea of no contest to the felony charge against him, District Attorney’s spokesman Ricardo Santiago told The Signal Thursday.

Holt will have to face his victim’s family on Sept. 4 when he returns to court for sentencing. He is expected to receive 26 years in prison.

“The victim and his family will give impact statements at the sentencing hearing,” Santiago said.

The victim, Lance Love of Sunland, suffers from cerebral palsy, has limited mobility and is confined to a wheelchair.

On March 18, 2013, when bartenders at a bar on Foothill Boulevard in Sunland refused to serve Holt any more drinks, he left the bar but returned with a weapon, a Los Angeles Police Department officer reported at the time.

“He returned to the bar and struck a bar patron (Love) with a mini baseball bat,” Officer Sara Faden said.

She described the bat as a 27-inch “promotional type” bat, like one might purchase as a souvenir at a baseball stadium.

Love fell into a coma after the beating and, according to LAPD Detective Anthony Stephenson, had “part of his skull” removed surgically.

According to Stephenson, Love was “hit in the back of the head and knocked out of his wheelchair” with the mini bat.

Holt was arrested the day after the attack following a brief pursuit by Santa Clarita Valley Sheriff’s Station deputies down Interstate 5 to Sylmar.

In May, following a preliminary hearing, Holt was ordered to stand trial for attempted murder.

Prosecutors said Holt “personally inflicted great bodily injury” on Love inside the bar and that he used “a deadly and dangerous weapon,” according to the criminal complaint they filed against him.

jholt@signalscv.com
661-287-5527
On Twitter @jamesarthurholt

 

Comments

NotSoAwesomeTown: Posted: July 24, 2014 4:56 p.m.

This guy sounds like a real winner.


alexhenderson: Posted: July 24, 2014 5:55 p.m.

Lock this piece of trash up and throw away the key. Enjoy showertime, scumbag.


johnnyrock: Posted: July 25, 2014 2:53 p.m.

What a useless piece of poop.



You need to be a registered user to post a comment. Please click here to register.

The Signal encourages readers to interact with one another, following the guidelines outlined in our Comment/Moderation Policy. Click here to read it.

To report offensive or inappropriate comments, e-mail abuse@signalscv.com. The content posted from readers of signalscv.com does not necessarily represent the views of The Signal or Morris Multimedia. By submitting this form you agree to the terms and conditions listed above. Thank you in advance for your cooperation.

 
 

Powered By
Morris Technology
Please wait ...