View Mobile Site
 

Ask the Expert

Signal Photos

Suspect in SCV cold case makes FBI fugitive list

Man believed to have fled to Mexico

Posted: June 16, 2014 6:18 p.m.
Updated: June 16, 2014 6:18 p.m.

Miguel Angel Morales Orozco, believed to be living in Mexico, is suspected in the 1998 stabbing of Glen Owen.

View More »
 

The prime suspect in the near-fatal stabbing of a local man 16 years ago has been added to the FBI’s fugitive profile website, a spokeswoman for the Federal Bureau of Investigation said Monday.

The name and photo of Miguel Angel Morales Orozco appears next to the FBI’s Top 10 Most Wanted fugitives listed on its website, His image appears on the bureau’s opening page under the heading “additional violent crimes.”

“It was just added to the list,” FBI spokeswoman Lourdes Arocho said Monday.

On May 24, Orozco’s photo appeared for the first time in 16 years when The Signal published details about an attempted murder cold case that was re-opened by the Santa Clarita Valley Sheriff’s Station.

Renewed interest in the case on the part of both sheriff’s detectives and the FBI was sparked by concerns expressed by the alleged victim in the case.

Glen Earl Owen, now 48 and a resident of Palmdale, said he wants to see the man who nearly killed him arrested and brought to justice.

“I asked the FBI why they haven’t listed my bad guy on their website,” Owen said Monday. “And I had to file a written complaint in an effort to make them do this.”

Owen, who was stabbed in his Newhall home and nearly killed on Sept. 13, 1998, said he walked into the local sheriff’s station on Magic Mountain Parkway last month and told the watch commander he wanted something done about the attack — the consequences of which he is still dealing with daily, he said.

Lt. Mark Hershey and Deputy Josh Dubin dusted off the Morales Orozco file.

They hoped if The Signal published the suspect’s photo, it would prompt someone to call with a tip to help in leading them to Morales Orozco, Dubin said.

That didn’t happen.

“No tips were received on the 1998 case,” Lt. Brenda Cambra, who heads the SCV station’s Detective Bureau, said Monday.

However, millions of people visiting the FBI’s website are now expected to see the same image that detectives hoped people in the Santa Clarita Valley would circulate using social media.

Website traffic
Authorities believe the suspect may be thousands of miles away in Mexico, but if any website could prompt someone recognizing him, it’s the FBI’s.

“It’s one of the most frequented Web pages,” Arocho said. “We’ve had some successes with people profiled on the site, not just in Mexico but from around the world.”

The FBI describes Orozco on their website as wanted for unlawful flight to avoid prosecution and for the attempted murder of a man in Newhall on Sept. 13, 1998.

Someone entered Owen’s residence in the 24800 block of Walnut Street and stabbed him at least four times in the upper torso with a kitchen knife, according to Owen and former Lt. Tim Peters, who spoke to The Signal at the time of the attack.

On the morning he was stabbed, Owen managed to dial 911, and when responding deputies arrived at his doorstep he was “bleeding profusely from multiple stab wounds,” according to a news story.

He was rushed to the hospital but lost consciousness before he was able to supply any information to deputies.

On Monday, Owen said was he officially “dead for one minute and 30 seconds” the day of the attack and brought back to life by doctors at Henry Mayo Newhall Hospital.

Morales Orozco was charged with one count of attempted murder, On Oct, 28, 1998, a state warrant was issued for his arrest. A federal arrest warrant was issued March 27, 2000, after Morales Orozco was charged with unlawful flight to avoid prosecution.

At the time of the incident, Morales Orozco had short hair and a mustache. His last known residence was in Newhall.

According to the FBI, Morales Orozco has ties to Mexico and may currently be living there.

Anyone with information about the case is asked to call Hershey or Dubin at 661-287-5527.

There’s still a $1 million warrant out for his arrest, Dubin said.

jholt@signalscv.com
661-287-5527
On Twitter @jamesarthurholt

 

 

Comments

Unreal: Posted: June 17, 2014 6:53 a.m.

How old is this guy now? Should we be looking for gray hair?


Unreal: Posted: June 17, 2014 7:01 a.m.

Good for Glen in not letting this go.

I think the SIGNAL should remove the info on where the victim currently lives. That is just a stupid thing to publish. You published his full name, his age and the city he lives in! How about the age of the fugitive?


NotSoAwesomeTown: Posted: June 17, 2014 8:07 a.m.

We'll never see justice on this. Our government needs to stop treating the Mexican government as a friendly entity, when the facts show they're obviously not.


Unreal: Posted: June 17, 2014 9:41 a.m.

And right now they still have a US Marine in custody in Mexico! They need to release him now!


NotSoAwesomeTown: Posted: June 17, 2014 1:08 p.m.

Where's Obama? He traded terrorists for that deserter - he should step in and help this Marine. Instead it's nothing but crickets....



You need to be a registered user to post a comment. Please click here to register.

The Signal encourages readers to interact with one another, following the guidelines outlined in our Comment/Moderation Policy. Click here to read it.

To report offensive or inappropriate comments, e-mail abuse@signalscv.com. The content posted from readers of signalscv.com does not necessarily represent the views of The Signal or Morris Multimedia. By submitting this form you agree to the terms and conditions listed above. Thank you in advance for your cooperation.

 
 

Powered By
Morris Technology
Please wait ...