View Mobile Site

Ask the Expert

Signal Photos

Fire doused in gym at The Master’s College

Posted: June 5, 2014 2:52 p.m.
Updated: June 5, 2014 2:52 p.m.

Santa Clarita Valley firefighters worked “delicately” to contain a small fire that broke out Thursday in the ceiling of the newly renovated gymnasium at The Master’s College, a fire spokesman said.

Firefighters were dispatched to the college on Placerita Canyon Road in Newhall shortly after 10:15 a.m., said Fire Department Capt. Paul Peppard of Fire Station 73.

“Some students were playing basketball in the gym when they noticed smoke,” he said. “They activated the alarm.

“It was a very small fire in the ceiling of the gym,” he said. “It’s lucky it happened during the day.”

The fire, which was described as electrical in nature, was brought under control at 11:45 a.m.

“We wanted to be very delicate in how we handled it,” Peppard said. “They just had (the gym) re-done so we wanted to go delicately on the fire.”

Firefighters cut a 3-by-5-foot hole in the roof, he said, “trying to protect the gym floor.”

The college began renovating the gym last summer and saw the completion of those changes in January, said college spokesman Peter Bargas.

“It was a small fire that we believe started in a junction box right above one of the (basketball) hoops in the gym,” he said.
on Twitter @jamesarthurholt




No comments have been posted.

You need to be a registered user to post a comment. Please click here to register.

The Signal encourages readers to interact with one another, following the guidelines outlined in our Comment/Moderation Policy. Click here to read it.

To report offensive or inappropriate comments, e-mail The content posted from readers of does not necessarily represent the views of The Signal or Morris Multimedia. By submitting this form you agree to the terms and conditions listed above. Thank you in advance for your cooperation.


Powered By
Morris Technology
Please wait ...