View Mobile Site
 

Ask the Expert

Signal Photos

 

UPDATE: Arrest made in Santa Clarita spring break school burglaries

Posted: April 26, 2013 12:46 p.m.
Updated: April 26, 2013 5:40 p.m.
 

Santa Clarita Valley Sheriff’s Station deputies have arrested two young men thought to be involved in a string of school burglaries committed during spring break, officials said Friday.

Deputy Josh Dubin said two men — 20-year-old Newhall resident Gonzalo Ortiz and a 17-year-old — were arrested late last week in connection with the burglaries.

Four schools — Hart High School, Sierra Vista Junior High School, Newhall Elementary School and Old Orchard Elementary School — were broken into and burglarized some time between March 29 and April 5, when schools were largely empty because of spring break.

The incidents remain a top priority for deputies and “more arrests are expected,” Dubin said Friday.

Ortiz, who is a suspected gang member, was arrested April 19 shortly after midnight in the 21300 block of Bottletree Lane in Newhall, Dubin said.

Ortiz has been charged with one count of second-degree commercial burglary and one count of resisting arrest, according to Jane Robison, a spokeswoman with the Los Angeles County District Attorney’s Office.

Ortiz is being held without bail at the North County Correctional Facility in Castaic.

The name of the 17-year-old suspect has not been released.

Dubin also said deputies have recovered some of the stolen property. Computers and other assorted electronics were reported stolen from the four schools.

The incidents remain under investigation, Dubin said, and it is still unclear if all of the burglaries are related.

Dubin credited the public’s help in identifying leads in the case.

“We’re grateful that we have such a great relationship with the public we serve,” Dubin said.

Lmoney@signalscv.com
661-287-5525
On Twitter @LukeMMoney

 

 

 

Comments

Commenting not available.
Commenting is not available.

 
 

Powered By
Morris Technology
Please wait ...