View Mobile Site
 

Ask the Expert

Signal Photos

 

Probation ordered in car crash that killed woman

Restitution hearing pending in misdemeanor vehicular manslaughter case

Posted: April 15, 2013 7:22 p.m.
Updated: April 15, 2013 7:22 p.m.
 

A 20-year-old Turkish man charged with misdemeanor vehicular manslaughter for a car crash that killed a young Turkish woman last summer pleaded no contest Monday and was placed on three years’ probation, a District Attorney spokeswoman said.

Attorney Berc Agopoglu of Century City appeared in Santa Clarita Court Monday on behalf of his client, Musa M. Mis, now living in Turkey.

Mis was charged in connection with the death of Tugba Elbirlik, 21, also of Turkey.

Judge Hilleri G. Merrit sentenced Mis to three years’ summary probation and ordered him to attend driving classes and pay restitution to the victim’s family, said Jane Robison of the Los Angeles County District Attorney’s office.
Mis also had his driver’s license suspended for three years.

A restitution hearing was scheduled June 12, Robison said.

Prosecutors named Mis as the driver of a car that crashed on Aug. 19 on McBean Parkway in Valencia, killing Elbirlik, the passenger.

The Mazda Miata that Mis was driving was traveling at more than 90 mph when it crashed into trees in the center divider in front of Henry Mayo Newhall Memorial Hopsital.

Elbirlik and Mis had been living in Valencia for the summer and working at Six Flags Magic Mountain on work visas.

News of a plea deal emerged in February when prosecutors offered Mis no jail time, a $1,000 fine, three years’ probation, a requirement to take an online American driving class and to pay restitution to the victim’s family.

Agopoglu told the judge he needed time to phone his client in Turkey and discuss it.

jholt@signalscv.com
661-287-5527
on Twitter @jamesarthurholt

 

 

Comments

Commenting not available.
Commenting is not available.

 
 

Powered By
Morris Technology
Please wait ...