View Mobile Site
  • Home
  • Marketplace
  • Community
  • Gas Prices


Ask the Expert

Signal Photos


Monday last day to file taxes

Posted: April 14, 2013 8:12 p.m.
Updated: April 14, 2013 8:12 p.m.

In this Monday, April 16, 2012 file photo, an Illinois Department of Revenue employee offers assistance to income tax payers at the Illinois Department of Revenue, in Springfield, Ill.

While e-filing has reduced the long lines of procrastinators outside post offices, many are still expected to file their state and federal income tax returns today, the last day to do so without an extension.
And while the number of post offices that stay open until the magic hour of midnight has been reduced, some are extending their hours today.
To find a location that is open late, visit
Taxpayers who absolutely can’t get it done by midnight tonight must apply for an extension, either online or in paper form, and submit it to the IRS. All tax payments are still due today regardless of whether an extension is filed.
If the extension is approved, a taxpayer has until Oct. 15 to complete a return.
California also provides a filing extension for state returns. While taxpayers do not need to apply for one, the filer must pay the estimated amount of taxes due by today to avoid penalties and interest.
Last year, 10.7 million Americans filed for extensions.
But an extension won’t buy you more time if you owe Uncle Sam any federal income taxes. And failing to pay by Monday’s deadline means you will incur interest charges and fees on top of what you owe.
“Your extension is not extending your payment time,” said Jackie Perlman, principal tax analyst at the research arm of H&R Block.
Still scrambling? Here are some guidelines for how to go about filing for an extension on your tax return and address a late filing if you owe income tax:

How to file
Tax returns are due by midnight on Monday. If you’re going to miss the deadline, file a request for an extension. The IRS accepts extension requests several ways: By mail, via tax-preparation software, through a paid tax preparer, or online via the IRS website,

Select the right form
To request the extension, you must fill out IRS Form 4868, which is available on the IRS website, through most tax preparation software, as well as in public libraries and post offices.
If you opt to mail in the form, it has to be postmarked by Monday to be considered on time. Forms filed online on the IRS website or by using tax software can be sent in as late as 11:59 p.m. EDT on Monday.
One bonus of filing online is the IRS will confirm receipt of the request form right away.

Estimate how much you owe
When you fill out the form, the IRS requires that you estimate how much income taxes you owe and pay that amount.
If you file for an extension online, you can also pay what you owe through an electronic funds withdrawal from a checking or savings account.
The IRS also accepts credit and debit cards, as well as checks and money orders.

Pay up, avoid penalties
Failing to pay your tax bill by the Monday deadline means you’ll incur a slew of interest and penalty charges on what you owe.
The IRS assesses a monthly penalty of 0.5 percent of the balance owed, plus interest of 3 percent per year, compounded daily.
The last thing you want to do is miss the tax filing deadline and not ask for an extension. That triggers a penalty of 5 percent of the tax owed for each month the tax return is late.
“If it turns out you have a big balance due, don’t make the mistake of not filing,” Perlman says. “That’s not going to help you.”

Consider a payment agreement
If you can’t pay the full amount you owe on time, you may be able to set up a payment plan with the IRS.
Taxpayers who owe $50,000 or less, including penalties and interest, can arrange to pay on a monthly basis for up to 72 months. You can elect to do this before receiving a late-payment notice from the IRS.
You’ll need to fill out and mail IRS Form 9465, which can be downloaded on the IRS website, along with your tax return.
The IRS also may determine you’re eligible for an “offer-in-compromise,” which essentially allows taxpayers to pay less than what they owe.

To figure out if you’re eligible, use the pre-qualifier tool on the IRS website.

Remember you only get 6 months extra
Once the IRS accepts your extension request, you’ll have until Oct. 15 to file a complete tax return. The IRS won’t give any more time, says Perlman.
“That is the final, final (deadline),” she says. “If you file after that, your return is considered delinquent.”

What if you’re due a refund?
If you’ve calculated that you’re due a refund but won’t be able to file your return on time, it’s not necessary to file for an extension.
“The extension, for the most part, is for folks that owe taxes and need to gather their paperwork,” says Anabel Marquez, a spokeswoman for the IRS. “There won’t be any penalties for not filing if a refund is owed.”
Just because you don’t have to stick to Monday’s deadline doesn’t mean Uncle Sam will hold on to your cash forever, though. Tax refunds that are not claimed within three years become property of the U.S. Treasury.


Commenting not available.
Commenting is not available.

Powered By
Morris Technology
Please wait ...