View Mobile Site
 

Ask the Expert

Signal Photos

 

US braces for another bad fire year

Posted: March 12, 2013 2:42 p.m.
Updated: March 12, 2013 2:42 p.m.

In 2012 the forest service spent hundreds of millions over its budget, leading to a new approach to wildfire management in 2013.

 

ALBUQUERQUE, N.M. (AP) — Despite the slowest start to a wildfire season in a decade, the head of the U.S. Forest Service says his agency is preparing for another busy year, but with fewer firefighters.

Chief Tom Tidwell tells The Associated Press that late winter storms have helped, but the South and Southwestern U.S. are expected to dry out heading into May and June.

That will give way to a season much like last year, when more than 14,500 square miles were charred. That's an area bigger than the state of Maryland.

A dozen lives were lost last year, and more than 2,200 homes and businesses were destroyed.

Tidwell says the agency's preparedness budget has been trimmed by 5 percent this year, meaning there will be about 500 fewer firefighters and 50 fewer engines.

Comments

Commenting not available.
Commenting is not available.

 
 

Powered By
Morris Technology
Please wait ...