View Mobile Site
  • Home
  • Marketplace
  • Community
  • Gas Prices


Ask the Expert

Signal Photos


UPDATE: Baby airlifted from Canyon Country school

Posted: February 5, 2013 3:20 p.m.
Updated: February 5, 2013 6:42 p.m.

A Los Angeles County Fire Department helicopter lifts off from Fair Oaks Ranch Community School's play yard taking an 11-month-old boy with respiratory distress to a Los Angeles hospital on Tuesday. Signal photo by Dan Watson

View More »

Quick action by Los Angeles County Fire Department paramedics and a helicopter team got a Canyon Country baby in respiratory distress to the hospital without delay Tuesday.

The chopper landed in a play field at Fair Oaks Ranch Community School just as school was letting out, and the children were held behind a fence while the tense drama played out. Traffic on two streets was also halted as the baby was transferred to the helicopter.

The race began around 3 p.m., after worried family members took the 11-month-old boy to a doctor’s office on Via Princessa due to breathing problems.

That’s where firefighters scooped up the child and took him to a waiting helicopter.

“He was a baby with significant medical history who suddenly experienced some respiratory distress,” said firefighter/paramedic Brian Clayton.

“The doctor treated him but he was still in distress,” Clayton said.

Clayton and his fellow paramedics drove the child from the doctor’s office to Fair Oaks Ranch Community School. Santa Clarita Valley Sheriff’s Station deputies were also dispatched to the scene.

The Fire Department’s chopper landed at Fair Oaks school on Lost Canyon Road.

Fair Oaks students watched as the chopper touched down in the school’s playground.

Clayton transferred the baby in its protective car seat to the waiting helicopter.

“It just makes it that much more secure for him,” Clayton said.

Traffic was halted along Lost Canyon Road and Via Princessa during the transfer.

The baby boy, who was reported breathing normally when the chopper lifted off the ground, was taken to the pediatric unit at Cedars-Sinai Medical Center in Los Angeles, Clayton said.

“He was doing fine,” the paramedic said of the boy’s condition.
on Twitter @jamesarthurholt






Commenting not available.
Commenting is not available.

Powered By
Morris Technology
Please wait ...