View Mobile Site
 

Ask the Expert

Signal Photos

 

Deep fryer blamed for fire at Canyon Country Thai restaurant

Posted: January 16, 2013 5:16 p.m.
Updated: January 16, 2013 5:16 p.m.
 

Kitchen equipment that was left unattended is believed to have caused a restaurant fire at a popular Thai eatery in Canyon Country, a fire official said today.

Firefighters investigating Tuesday’s blaze at the Siam Rice restaurant concluded that “a deep fryer left on and unattended” caused it, said a spokesman for the Los Angeles County Fire Department.

The fire in the Boot Barn Plaza on the southeast corner of Sierra Highway and Soledad Canyon Road erupted around 10 a.m. Tuesday, before the restaurant was open. A witness said she heard a loud “bang” before flames erupted.

Fire Department inspectors calculated the blaze caused $300,000 damage to the structure and $50,000 damage to its contents, the Fire Department spokesman said.

The popular restaurant, which served Thai and Chinese food, had been a landmark at the plaza for more than a decade.

Nearby businesses were evacuated during the fire, which caused smoke damage to neighboring enterprises.

Firefighters called a second alarm on the blaze, and sheriff’s deputies shut down Soledad Canyon Road eastbound and reduced some other lanes to traffic as equipment was rolled to the scene.

“I heard a loud bang and then the guy from the copy shop came over and said, ‘Are you OK?’” said Wendy Ramirez, who works for a law office next door to the restaurant.

““And then he said, ‘The building’s on fire.’”

jholt@signalscv.com
661-287-5527
on Twitter @jamesarthurholt

 

 

Comments

Commenting not available.
Commenting is not available.

 
 

Powered By
Morris Technology
Please wait ...