View Mobile Site

Ask the Expert

Signal Photos


Prep soccer: Quick is the key for Trinity

Two early goals lifts Trinity over SCCS

Posted: December 12, 2012 1:55 a.m.
Updated: December 12, 2012 1:55 a.m.

Trinity's Nick Spinello (8) dribbles past a skidding Christian Broadbent of Santa Clarita Christian on Tuesday at The Master's College.

View More »

In a duel of two young teams, the one to establish itself early was going to take the upper hand.

In this case, it was Trinity Classical Academy boys soccer, which beat Santa Clarita Christian School 3-0 on Tuesday at The Master’s College.

Trinity scored two goals in the opening 15 minutes of the game to take control of the first boys soccer battle of the two crosstown schools.

“The last two games we’ve had some opportunities in the opening five to 10 minutes,” said Trinity head coach Zach Weichbrodt. “We were actually able to finish some of those chances early on and assert ourselves.”

Michael Stratton scored two goals and assisted another for the Knights (1-2), who had to hold off an aggressive offensive push by the Cardinals (1-3) in the closing minutes of the game.

SCCS came into the season without nine graduated seniors, including three All-CIF players.

Trinity is still a building program now playing just its third varsity season.

Both teams played well at times.

The Cardinals played their best late in the game when they came close to scoring several times.

Jeremy Harris and Zack Norton were the two with consistent opportunities. Harris had one chance on a penalty kick midway through in the first half, but Trinity goalkeeper Eli Skorich made the save.

“When we’re on offense, we’re all attackers,” said SCCS head coach Steve Cooper. “When we’re on defense, we’re all defenders. If we could just play like that the whole game, we’d be much better off.”

Though SCCS outshot Trinity 11-8, the Knights did a better job cashing in.

Rafael Castro scored in the 13th minute off a pass from Stratton to get things started.

Four minutes later, Stratton himself made it a 2-0 lead when he tucked a right-footed shot just inside the right post.

“It was better reactions,” Stratton said of the team’s early goals. “We finally started to open up and pass to the man.”

Stratton capped off the day with another goal in the final seconds of the game thanks to a nice pass deep into the 18-yard box by Patch Kulp.


Commenting not available.
Commenting is not available.


Powered By
Morris Technology
Please wait ...