View Mobile Site
 

Ask the Expert

Signal Photos

 

Board: BP missed the big hazard issues in spill

Posted: July 24, 2012 2:30 p.m.
Updated: July 24, 2012 2:30 p.m.
 

HOUSTON (AP) — A government investigative committee says BP and the drilling contractor it hired to operate the Deepwater Horizon rig that exploded two years ago focused too closely on personal safety at the expense of preventing major hazards.

The conclusions are contained in the preliminary findings of an investigation into the April 2010 Gulf of Mexico oil spill conducted by the U.S. Chemical Safety and Hazard Investigation Board.

Eleven workers were killed in April 2010 when the Deepwater Horizon rig exploded, causing 200 million gallons of oil to gush into Gulf waters.

The board also says that aboard the Deepwater Horizon, BP and rig operator Transocean only partially implemented safety recommendations that had been issued following a deadly 2005 explosion at BP's Texas City refinery.

Comments

Commenting not available.
Commenting is not available.

 
 

Powered By
Morris Technology
Please wait ...