View Mobile Site
 

Ask the Expert

Signal Photos

 

Foothill League boys basketball to adopt 3-person officiating crews for 2012

Posted: July 11, 2012 8:17 p.m.
Updated: July 11, 2012 8:17 p.m.
 

After using two officials for basketball games during league play in 2011, the Foothill League has voted to adopt three-person crews for all league boys basketball games in 2012, according to league secretary Dody Garcia.


The proposal came up in the coaches’ postseason meeting, before being presented to athletic directors and ultimately the school’s principals, and was passed by all three groups.


Varsity boys basketball officials received $72 dollars per game last year, and adding a third official to the league’s 10-game schedule will cost each school about an additional $360 in official’s fees.


The host school pays the officials, meaning each school will pay referees for its five home games.


For one coach, the opportunity to have a third official on the court is welcome.


“A lot of (the coaches) just said they felt more comfortable with three officials. Better control of the game, which would make sense,” said West Ranch boys basketball coach Shant Bicakci said.


That’s something the officials agree with, too.


“It’s a lot cleaner game, and less fouls are actually called because the players realize,” said Mark Sawyer, president of the San Fernando Valley official’s unit, which provides officials for the Foothill League, among other leagues within the CIF-Southern and City sections. “And it’s better for the coaches because when you go into the playoffs you’ve got three-person mechanics.”


All changes are scheduled to take effect for the upcoming 2012-13 school year.

Comments

Commenting not available.
Commenting is not available.

 
 

Powered By
Morris Technology
Please wait ...