View Mobile Site

Ask the Expert

Signal Photos


Embattled tie

Four yellow cards issued in game

Posted: December 11, 2008 10:08 p.m.
Updated: December 12, 2008 4:55 a.m.

Grizzly Juan Trejo (13) is sandwiched between Chaminade's Michael Hajdu (15) and Ray Gylys as they all jump for the ball Thursday.

Golden Valley’s soccer field was the site of a battle on Thursday afternoon as the boys varsity team took on Chaminade of West Hills.

Players left the field bloody, battered and bruised, following the 1-1 tie.

Thursday’s contest was less about scoring and more about flexing muscles.

The officials pulled yellow cards four times in the contest. Two for Golden Valley (1-1-1) and two for Chaminade (1-1-3).

The Grizzlies’ Jared Tally set the tone of the game after being carded in the first minute.

After that the Eagles took over.

Junior Tristen Korras put Chaminade on the board first after a 10-yard kick bounced off the back of a Golden Valley player and ended up in the net in the 13th minute of the game.

The Eagles maintained the momentum as Golden Valley began to break down.

Miscues and miscommunication kept the Grizzlies out of the game early.

“After they (Chaminade) scored that first goal we lost our confidence,” said Golden Valley sophomore Andy Ruiz. “We started out bad and we just weren’t communicating.”

The Eagles had six shots on goal to the Grizzlies’ four in the first half.

Golden Valley was visibly frustrated with its mistakes, but the opening of the second half saw a shift of momentum go in the Grizzlies’ direction.

“We needed to light that spark,” said Golden Valley head coach Phillip Lopez. “In the first half we showed a lack of teamwork and the little things that we weren’t doing in the first half we did in the second half and it showed.”

Golden Valley came out on fire, dominating the Eagles defensively.

Chaminade did not have any shot attempts in the second half which opened the door for the Grizzlies to get on the board.

Golden Valley was called four times for offside in the second half, but that didn’t stop the Grizzlies from playing aggressive.

A controversial call in the second half had the Grizzlies’ Tim Stanley shooting a penalty kick in the 55th minute of the game and the score was tied 1-1.

Chaminade’s goalkeeper leaped for a ball and got tangled up with a Grizzlies player. He was given a yellow card but was not removed from the game.

In the 65th minute of the game the clocked stopped as two Chaminade players collided on the field leaving the Eagles’ Connor Hopkins bloody and bruised. Hopkins would not return to the game.

Golden Valley took 10 shots in the second half; five of those came from Ruiz who said he just wanted to whatever he could to get his team the win.

“I wanted to go all out after that penalty,” he said. “It motivated me to score.”

Three of Ruiz’s shots went high above the goal posts but he kept hoping one of his shots would drop.

“When I kept missing, it pushed me to keep going.”

With the offensive breakdown in the second half, Chaminade head coach Jesse Servin wasn’t satisfied with his team’s effort.

“We’re a young team and we’re still growing,” he said. “We lost focus after being up 1-0, we kind of shifted into cruise control. If I had to rate the team, I’d give them a C-. I expect better to be honest.”


Commenting not available.
Commenting is not available.

Powered By
Morris Technology
Please wait ...