View Mobile Site
 

Ask the Expert

Signal Photos

 

Scott Thomas Wilk: Let’s fashion an end to trafficking

Right Here, Right Now!

Posted: March 18, 2011 1:55 a.m.
Updated: March 18, 2011 1:55 a.m.
 

Although this is supposed to be a Republican column, there are some issues so important that it draws us all together. Human trafficking is one such issue.

The United Nations Children’s Fund cites human trafficking as the third largest criminal activity in the world, after arms dealing and the drug trade.

According to its report, “Trafficked children may be sold as child brides, or used as prostitutes. They may end up in factories as extremely cheap labor, or become household servants. Others could be intentionally maimed and forced to beg on the streets for the benefit of their handlers.”

The Polaris Project estimates human trafficking to be a $32 billion industry, affecting 161 countries. It claims an estimated 12.3 million men, women and children are trafficked for commercial sex or forced labor around the world.

A 2007 report by the U.S. State Department cited the following figures:

* 800,000 people are trafficked across international borders every year.

* 1 million children are exploited by the global commercial sex trade every year.

* 50 percent of all transnational victims are children.

* 80 percent of transnational victims are women and girls.

* 70 percent of female victims are trafficked into the commercial sex industry and the other 30 percent into forced labor.
Since 2007, Soroptimist International has taken on the cause of ending human trafficking.

Soroptimist International is a volunteer organization for business and professional women who work to improve the lives of women and girls, in local communities and throughout the world. Almost 95,000 Soroptimists in about 120 countries contribute their time, talent and treasure to support community-based and international projects that benefit women and girls.

So how can you help?

On Sunday, the Soroptimist International of Greater Santa Clarita Valley and Soroptimist International of Santa Clarita Valley are joining forces to raise funds to fight this scourge.

The clubs are producing a fashion show and boutique at the Hyatt Regency Valencia with the theme, “Simply Irresistible.”
The event will be produced by the incomparable Shelley Hann and co-chaired by Kris Hough and Donna Kreutz.

The show will feature professional models, as well as some of the fabulous men and women volunteers of Santa Clarita Valley. Fashions will be provided by J. David Custom Clothiers of Valencia, Soroptimist member Madison Schwartz’s Newhall boutique Fresh, White House-Black Market, J. Serraino and more.

Even though I can’t walk and talk at the same time, I’ll be strutting down the runway for this great cause. Joining me on stage will be my boys — trash man Chris Fall of Advantage Disposal and my favorite CPA, Tom Hough.

To give the audience the best performance we can, we have been living the supermodel life of discipline and self-denial. First, we oriented ourselves to the modeling profession by watching the 2001 comedy “Zoolander.”

Hough has seriously upped his cardio to get that cut look that is required of super models. Seriously, the guy doesn’t look a day over 56, and I think the ladies will be impressed.

Fall is already ripped from picking up trash bins five days a week for the last 24 years. However, he took one for the team by waxing his back. It was the first time I’ve seen an Italian cry. 

Everyone involved has given their best for this effort. We hope you will join us to fight human trafficking by attending the show.

The boutique begins at 10 a.m., followed by the luncheon and fashion show at noon. Tickets are $75 per person and can be purchased at www.sifashionshow.org/.

Scott Thomas Wilk is a member of the California Republican Party and an elected member to the Republican Party of Los Angeles County.

Comments

Commenting not available.
Commenting is not available.

 
 

Powered By
Morris Technology
Please wait ...