View Mobile Site
  • Home
  • Marketplace
  • Community
  • Gas Prices


Ask the Expert

Signal Photos


VIDEO UPDATE: Teen arrested after standoff with deputies

Posted: July 22, 2008 6:50 p.m.
Updated: September 23, 2008 5:03 a.m.

Deputies take into custody a teenage male after a two-hour standoff on Monday night.

A 17-year-old Newhall boy is in Sylmar Juvenile Hall following a harrowing two-hour standoff Monday night between the knife-wielding youth and sheriff's deputies.

At around 10:30 p.m., deputies were called to a home in the 25000 block of Walnut Street after receiving a man reported that his son was acting crazy.

When deputies arrived they found several occupants of the building jumping out of windows, according to a sheriff's report, after the boy, armed with a knife had been "apparently chasing family members around the house with a knife and threatening them."

The boy, whose name was not released, then reportedly barricaded himself inside the house by stacking furniture and mattresses against the doors and windows.

Deputies evacuated other nearby dwellings and repeatedly told the boy to give himself up.

Deputies from the Los Angeles County Sheriff Department Special Enforcement Bureau's Canine Services Detail and Crisis Negotiations Team were called to the scene.

Deputies reportedly kept trying to convince the boy to give up, then, just after midnight, he surrendered without incident.

Inside the house, deputies found extensive damage including broken furniture and damaged walls.

Sometime during the standoff, a small fire broke out inside the house after a lit candle was reportedly knocked over, according to the report.

There were no reported injuries.

The boy was booked at the Santa Clarita Valley Sheriff's Station on felony charges of assault with a deadly weapon and vandalism.

The accused teen was taken to Sylmar Juvenile Hall for housing pending future court proceedings.


Commenting not available.
Commenting is not available.

Powered By
Morris Technology
Please wait ...