View Mobile Site
 

Ask the Expert

Signal Photos

 

Gov.’s latest proposal may hurt shelter

Posted: January 20, 2010 10:34 p.m.
Updated: January 21, 2010 4:55 a.m.
 
Governor Arnold Schwarzenegger’s latest budget proposal does not include funding for California’s domestic violence shelters, putting the Santa Clarita Valley’s center at risk of losing nearly half of its funding next year, a statement from the shelter said.

Because of state cuts, the SCV Domestic Violence Center said it could lose about $207,000 in 2011, the statement said.

“I think about every client who has come through our doors and their horrific stories of abuse,” said Executive Director Nicole Shellcroft. “The elimination of funding has set back the services for victims of domestic violence that will be felt for many years and it sends the message that victims often hear from their abusers — you are alone.”

Last year, the state pulled much of its funding for domestic violence centers. Assemblyman Cameron Smyth, R-Santa Clarita, and state Sen. Leland Yi, D-San Francisco, introduced legislation that restored some of the funding using one-time funding sources.

The shelter had to move from its Newhall location, where it had been for nearly a decade, to a building in Valencia that was offered at a discounted rate.

Comments

Commenting not available.
Commenting is not available.

 
 

Powered By
Morris Technology
Please wait ...