View Mobile Site
 

Ask the Expert

Signal Photos

 

Celts too much for Cents

Crespi passing game picks apart Saugus defense

Posted: October 9, 2009 11:54 p.m.
Updated: October 10, 2009 4:55 a.m.
 
ENCINO — Crespi scored on all six of its first-half possessions to put Saugus away early in a 50-0 win on Friday at Crespi High School.

Saugus (1-4) fell behind 20-0 after the first quarter due to a passing attack that picked apart the Centurions’ secondary.

While the toughest part of Saugus’ schedule is over, the most important part is about to begin, and that’s what Saugus head coach Jason Bornn emphasized to his team after the lopsided loss.

“It’s about the Foothill League at this point,” Bornn said. “We need to focus on that from this point on.”

“We’re not going to see anyone in our league like we saw tonight,” he added. “You’d be hard-pressed to find another team to match the pre-league schedule we faced this season.”

Celts senior quarterback Bryan Bennett, who verbally committed to Oregon earlier in the year, led Crespi (3-2) by completing 10-of-17 passes for 232 yards and five touchdowns in the first half.

Crespi’s Devin Lucien caught three touchdown passes in the first half and the Centurions gave up six passing plays of more than 20 yards before the halftime homecoming celebration.

“We were actually trying to throw the ball short, but they were taking away a lot of that stuff and leaving us one-on-one deep,” said Crespi head coach Jeremiah Ross. “So you have to take what the defense gives you.”

The score was 40-0 at the break after Bennett tossed two more touchdown passes and running back Rhasheed Johnson added two more on the ground.

Johnson finished with 99 rushing yards on eight carries.

Saugus’ offense was overmatched by Crespi’s defense at the line of scrimmage, and Centurions quarterback Zack Gauthier spent most of the evening scrambling from the pocket.

Gauthier was sacked three times, and although he played relatively error-free football with no turnovers, he had little time to make plays, Unfortunately for the Centurions, the running game faltered as well.

Heading into the season, sophomore running back Tyler Watt was projected to be the featured back, but his debut was delayed until Friday due to a preseason ankle injury. The sophomore scraped and banged his way to 39 rushing yards on 14 carries.

The Centurions used six different ball carriers in the first half, but none of them were able to net more than running back Adrian Cruz’s 15 rushing yards. Most of Watt’s yardage came late in the second half against the Celts’ reserves.

Saugus was held without a first down in the first half, netting less than 20 yards of total offense after two quarters.

“Nothing was working right,” said Gauthier after the game. “Even on the last play, it was just a pitch and catch. … It’s just frustrating.

“It was one of the most frustrating games I’ve ever played in my entire life. I mean, all we can do is keep our heads up and keep fighting. That’s all we need to do.”

Comments

Commenting not available.
Commenting is not available.

 
 

Powered By
Morris Technology
Please wait ...