View Mobile Site

Ask the Expert

Signal Photos


McKeon urges seniors to file for stimulus check

• 1040A required for tax rebate.

Posted: April 12, 2008 1:27 a.m.
Updated: June 13, 2008 5:03 a.m.
U.S. Rep. Howard "Buck" McKeon is encouraging senior citizens to file income tax forms so they can be eligible to receive an economic stimulus check from the federal government.

Seniors who do not normally file a federal tax return must fill out the two-page 1040A form to receive a check from the IRS.

"It's a very simple process," Bob Haueter, McKeon's deputy chief of staff, said Friday. "But you have to file. If you don't file, you don't get the check."

Those who normally file a tax return do not need to take any further steps to receive their rebates.

"I supported the economic stimulus package passed earlier this year, and I want to make sure that every senior who is eligible for a check from the IRS receives their money," McKeon said in a statement. "I am trying to spread the word, because some seniors on a fixed income who don't normally file may not be aware of the process ... I also encourage other citizens to make sure their elderly family members and friends know about and have completed the filing process so they can receive $300."

McKeon said there have been reports of fraud as scam artists pose as IRS agents and ask seniors for their financial information.

He said no one should give out any personal or financial information over the phone or e-mail if someone inquires about their IRS check.

Although the filing deadline is Oct. 15, the IRS recommends that seniors file by April 15.

McKeon has put together a how-to guide, which his staff is distributing to local seniors along with copies of the 1040A forms. For more information and assistance, seniors can contact McKeon's district office at (661) 254-2111 or the Santa Clarita Valley Senior Center at (661) 259-9444. Information is also available at


Commenting not available.
Commenting is not available.


Powered By
Morris Technology
Please wait ...