View Mobile Site
  • Home
  • Marketplace
  • Community
  • Gas Prices


Ask the Expert

Signal Photos


Cause of Agua Dulce crash remains under investigation

Posted: June 21, 2014 4:25 p.m.
Updated: June 21, 2014 4:25 p.m.

Investigators examine a light plane that crashed in Agua Dulce on Friday. Two people were seriously injured and taken to Henry Mayo Newhall Hospital. Signal photo by Dan Watson.

View More »

Officials are investigating what led a small plane to crash in Agua Dulce, downing power lines in the area and sending two people to the hospital.

The single-engine Cessna 152 crashed off a dirt road in the area of Sierra Highway and Shady Lane Road, about a mile and a half from Agua Dulce Airpark, around 2 p.m. Friday, according to officials.

The Federal Aviation Administration and the National Transportation Safety Board are investigating the incident and a safety inspector from the FAA was at the crash site Friday afternoon, according to FAA spokesman Allen Kenitzer.

Kenitzer said the NTSB is the lead investigative agency on the matter and that an investigator usually posts a basic preliminary report online within a week or two of an incident.

“However, it typically takes NTSB months to come up with a probable cause for accidents,” Kenitzer wrote in an email Saturday.

The plane is registered to FliteServ, LLC, a company based in Long Beach, according to FAA records.

The company is a “full service, fixed base operation, offering 24/7 private aircraft services and storage,” according to its website.

As the plane crashed, it took down power lines in the area. Officials from Southern California Edison were called in to de-energize the lines, officials said Friday.

Los Angeles County Fire Department Battalion Chief Larry Tucker said Friday that the plane did not catch on fire after impact.

“The plane did not catch on fire, and I think that’s what helped the two passengers survive the impact,” Tucker said.

Two people, a man and a woman, were extricated from the wreckage and airlifted to Henry Mayo Newhall Hospital by helicopter.

Their names had not been released as of Saturday and the extent of their injuries remains unknown.

Local residents said they helped the man and woman from the aircraft.

Neither the FAA nor the NTSB releases the identities of people who are involved in aircraft accidents, Kenitzer said.
On Twitter @LukeMMoney




Commenting not available.
Commenting is not available.

Powered By
Morris Technology
Please wait ...