View Mobile Site
 

Ask the Expert

Signal Photos

 

SCV resident files robocall lawsuit

Posted: June 19, 2014 6:29 p.m.
Updated: June 19, 2014 6:29 p.m.
 

A Santa Clarita Valley resident has filed a lawsuit against a former political candidate, alleging the candidate made illegal robocalls to his cellphone.

Saugus resident Robert Arkow filed the suit against former congressional candidate Navraj Singh, alleging that Singh placed two robocalls to his cellphone, which Arkow alleges is a violation of the Telephone Consumer Protection Act.

“I think it’s wrong and I think it’s illegal,” Arkow said Thursday. “And, if necessary, I’ll take him to court.”

“Robocall” is the term used to refer to a pre-recorded message that is delivered by phone using an auto-dialer.

Robocalls are typically used in political or advertising campaigns.

Singh ran as a Republican in the June primary election to replace Congressman Howard “Buck” McKeon, R-Santa Clarita, who is retiring at the end of his current term.

Singh received 697 votes as of the latest tally, the fewest of any candidate in the eight-man field.

This is not the first time Arkow has filed a suit alleging illegal robocalls were made to his cellphone.

He filed a suit with similar allegations last year against Chris Trunkey, who was then a candidate for the Saugus Union School District board. Arkow received a $560 judgment in the matter.

“If enough people have to go to court, maybe it will stop,” Arkow said.

Trial on the matter is set for Aug. 27, according to Arkow.

Singh could not be reached for comment Thursday.

Lmoney@signalscv.com
661-287-5525
On Twitter @LukeMMoney

 

Comments

Commenting not available.
Commenting is not available.

 
 

Powered By
Morris Technology
Please wait ...