View Mobile Site
  • Home
  • Marketplace
  • Community
  • Gas Prices


Ask the Expert

Signal Photos


Suspect in SCV cold case makes FBI fugitive list

Man believed to have fled to Mexico

Posted: June 16, 2014 6:18 p.m.
Updated: June 16, 2014 6:18 p.m.

Palmdale resident and security guard Glen Owen was nearly killed in a stabbing attack in Newhall on Sept. 13, 1998. Courtesy photo

View More »

The prime suspect in the near-fatal stabbing of a local man 16 years ago has been added to the FBI’s fugitive profile website, a spokeswoman for the Federal Bureau of Investigation said Monday.

The name and photo of Miguel Angel Morales Orozco appears next to the FBI’s Top 10 Most Wanted fugitives listed on its website, His image appears on the bureau’s opening page under the heading “additional violent crimes.”

“It was just added to the list,” FBI spokeswoman Lourdes Arocho said Monday.

On May 24, Orozco’s photo appeared for the first time in 16 years when The Signal published details about an attempted murder cold case that was re-opened by the Santa Clarita Valley Sheriff’s Station.

Renewed interest in the case on the part of both sheriff’s detectives and the FBI was sparked by concerns expressed by the alleged victim in the case.

Glen Earl Owen, now 48 and a resident of Palmdale, said he wants to see the man who nearly killed him arrested and brought to justice.

“I asked the FBI why they haven’t listed my bad guy on their website,” Owen said Monday. “And I had to file a written complaint in an effort to make them do this.”

Owen, who was stabbed in his Newhall home and nearly killed on Sept. 13, 1998, said he walked into the local sheriff’s station on Magic Mountain Parkway last month and told the watch commander he wanted something done about the attack — the consequences of which he is still dealing with daily, he said.

Lt. Mark Hershey and Deputy Josh Dubin dusted off the Morales Orozco file.

They hoped if The Signal published the suspect’s photo, it would prompt someone to call with a tip to help in leading them to Morales Orozco, Dubin said.

That didn’t happen.

“No tips were received on the 1998 case,” Lt. Brenda Cambra, who heads the SCV station’s Detective Bureau, said Monday.

However, millions of people visiting the FBI’s website are now expected to see the same image that detectives hoped people in the Santa Clarita Valley would circulate using social media.

Website traffic
Authorities believe the suspect may be thousands of miles away in Mexico, but if any website could prompt someone recognizing him, it’s the FBI’s.

“It’s one of the most frequented Web pages,” Arocho said. “We’ve had some successes with people profiled on the site, not just in Mexico but from around the world.”

The FBI describes Orozco on their website as wanted for unlawful flight to avoid prosecution and for the attempted murder of a man in Newhall on Sept. 13, 1998.

Someone entered Owen’s residence in the 24800 block of Walnut Street and stabbed him at least four times in the upper torso with a kitchen knife, according to Owen and former Lt. Tim Peters, who spoke to The Signal at the time of the attack.

On the morning he was stabbed, Owen managed to dial 911, and when responding deputies arrived at his doorstep he was “bleeding profusely from multiple stab wounds,” according to a news story.

He was rushed to the hospital but lost consciousness before he was able to supply any information to deputies.

On Monday, Owen said was he officially “dead for one minute and 30 seconds” the day of the attack and brought back to life by doctors at Henry Mayo Newhall Hospital.

Morales Orozco was charged with one count of attempted murder, On Oct, 28, 1998, a state warrant was issued for his arrest. A federal arrest warrant was issued March 27, 2000, after Morales Orozco was charged with unlawful flight to avoid prosecution.

At the time of the incident, Morales Orozco had short hair and a mustache. His last known residence was in Newhall.

According to the FBI, Morales Orozco has ties to Mexico and may currently be living there.

Anyone with information about the case is asked to call Hershey or Dubin at 661-287-5527.

There’s still a $1 million warrant out for his arrest, Dubin said.
On Twitter @jamesarthurholt




Commenting not available.
Commenting is not available.


Powered By
Morris Technology
Please wait ...