View Mobile Site
 

Ask the Expert

Signal Photos

 

Fire doused in gym at The Master’s College

Posted: June 5, 2014 2:52 p.m.
Updated: June 5, 2014 2:52 p.m.
 

Santa Clarita Valley firefighters worked “delicately” to contain a small fire that broke out Thursday in the ceiling of the newly renovated gymnasium at The Master’s College, a fire spokesman said.

Firefighters were dispatched to the college on Placerita Canyon Road in Newhall shortly after 10:15 a.m., said Fire Department Capt. Paul Peppard of Fire Station 73.

“Some students were playing basketball in the gym when they noticed smoke,” he said. “They activated the alarm.

“It was a very small fire in the ceiling of the gym,” he said. “It’s lucky it happened during the day.”

The fire, which was described as electrical in nature, was brought under control at 11:45 a.m.

“We wanted to be very delicate in how we handled it,” Peppard said. “They just had (the gym) re-done so we wanted to go delicately on the fire.”

Firefighters cut a 3-by-5-foot hole in the roof, he said, “trying to protect the gym floor.”

The college began renovating the gym last summer and saw the completion of those changes in January, said college spokesman Peter Bargas.

“It was a small fire that we believe started in a junction box right above one of the (basketball) hoops in the gym,” he said.

jholt@signalscv.com
661-287-5527
on Twitter @jamesarthurholt

 

 

Comments

Commenting not available.
Commenting is not available.

 
 

Powered By
Morris Technology
Please wait ...