View Mobile Site
zone code Advantage Code _
 

Ask the Expert

Signal Photos

 

Father pleads not guilty in son’s stabbing

Posted: May 12, 2014 3:18 p.m.
Updated: May 12, 2014 3:18 p.m.
 

A 56-year-old man ordered to stand trial for the stabbing of his son has pleaded not guilty to the charge of assault with a deadly weapon.

Michael Brian Phillipson, who was arrested at a home in Saugus in March, was arraigned in San Fernando Superior Court Friday and pleaded not guilty to the assault-with-a-deadly-weapon charge, District Attorney spokesman Ricardo Santiago said Monday.

Superior Court Judge David Stuart ordered Phillipson to stand trial on April 25 for allegedly stabbing his son. During that preliminary hearing, the defendant’s son, Schuyler Phillipson, 24, testified against his father.

Michael Phillipson appeared in San Fernando Superior Court and was formally arraigned on the assault charge and pleaded not guilty, said Deputy District Attorney Moira Curry who is prosecuting the case.

The stabbing occurred March 20 at a home rented by Phillipson on Catala Avenue.

On that day, the elder Phillipson was arrested on suspicion of attempted murder and taken into custody while his son was taken to Henry Mayo Newhall Hospital, a Santa Clarita Valley sheriff’s deputy said at the time.

“It was apparently a father-and-son domestic,” Deputy Josh Dubin said of the March 20 attack. “Doctors stated that (the victim) would survive.”

Suffering from multiple stab wounds, the younger Phillipson was treated and released within a week and has since moved to Montana to be with his mother.

The father and son had been in the Santa Clarita Valley performing home repairs. But their residence was the rental house in which the stabbing occurred.

The elder Phillipson remains in custody at the Men’s Central Jail with bail set at $100,000.

jholt@signalscv.com
661-287-5527
on Twitter @jamesarthurholt

 

Comments

Commenting not available.
Commenting is not available.

 
 

Powered By
Morris Technology
Please wait ...