View Mobile Site
  •  
  • Home
  • OBITS
  •  
  • Marketplace
  •  
  • Community
  •  
  • Gas Prices
  •  

 

Ask the Expert

Signal Photos

 

UPDATE: Convicted serial rapist may be released in unincorporated area near Palmdale

Posted: April 4, 2014 1:15 p.m.
Updated: April 4, 2014 6:04 p.m.
 

A Santa Clara Superior Court judge ruled Friday that a serial rapist who admitted to attacking dozens of women could potentially reside at a home in an unincorporated area near Palmdale, according to officials.

Christopher Evans Hubbart, the so-called “pillowcase rapist” who admitted attacking approximately 40 women starting in 1972, could live at 20315 East Avenue R upon his release, according to the ruling from Santa Clara Superior Court Judge Gilbert Brown.

“It’s outrageous that an admitted sexual predator with a long history of brutal crimes against women will be released in this community — or any community,” Los Angeles County Supervisor Michael D. Antonovich said in a statement Friday. “He belongs in an institution where he cannot prey upon the public.”

A public hearing dealing with the location of Hubbart at the East Avenue R residents is expected to be held May 21 in San Jose.

“I will continue to oppose Hubbart’s release,” said Los Angeles County District Attorney Jackie Lacey. “My top priority is to protect our community.

“If Hubbart is housed in Los Angeles County, my office will work with law enforcement to make sure that he is closely monitored at all times and that all terms and conditions of his release are strictly enforced,” Lacey continued.

Hubbart was deemed a “sexually violent predator” in a 2001 state appellate court decision. Brown previously approved his release at a home in Lake Los Angeles, another Antelope Valley community, but public outcry prompted the owner of the residence to withdraw his property from consideration in November.

Born in Pasadena and reared in Claremont, Hubbart was sentenced to Atascadero State Hospital after a series of rapes in 1972. He was released in 1979 and moved to the Bay Area, where he resumed committing sexual assaults and was convicted and sentenced in 1982 to 16 years in prison.

He was released on parole in 1990, again committed sexual assaults, and returned to prison later the same year.
In state custody since 1996, Hubbart petitioned for release in 2013.

The Santa Clara County Superior Court has jurisdiction over his release because his last conviction was there.

And Brown has ruled the sexual predator should be paroled in Southern California because he identified that as his home.

Lacey attempted to have Hubbart ordered released in Santa Clara County but was unsuccessful. The Los Angeles County prosecutor says Hubbart no longer has family in Southern California.

Members of the public have until May 16 to send written comments to Brown either by email to HubbartLASafetyTaskForce@da.lacounty.gov, or by mail to:
Hubbart L.A. Safety Task Force
c/o Los Angeles County District Attorney’s Office
Sex Crimes Division
320 West Temple Street, Room 777
Los Angeles, CA 90012

“This action opens up a 45-day window for public comment, which will be considered by the judge at the next court hearing,” reads the news release from Antonovich’s office.

 

 

 

 

Comments

Commenting not available.
Commenting is not available.

 
 

Powered By
Morris Technology
Please wait ...