View Mobile Site
 

Ask the Expert

Signal Photos

 

Engine burn in Valencia causes blaze

• Five treated for smoke inhalation.

Posted: April 2, 2008 12:46 a.m.
Updated: June 3, 2008 5:02 a.m.
 
A conveyor belt engine inside a 5,000 square-foot warehouse in Valencia burned, causing a small fire and large amounts of smoke late Monday evening.

Five people who worked at the warehouse at the time of the fire were transported to Henry Mayo Newhall Memorial Hospital for smoke inhalation.

The warehouse, located on Avenue Tibbits between Avenues Scott and Mentry, was apparently owned by a health care company and distributed pharmaceutical goods.

According to Jerry Thompson, a fire fighter specialist with County Fire Station 126, the conveyor belt's motor burned out, causing a small fire at approximately 9:30 p.m. Warehouse employees immediately put out the small conflagration with a fire extinguisher, yet there was still a lot of smoke inside the structure when the fire department arrived.

Due to high amounts of smoke, five people at the scene suffered from smoke inhalation. All five victims were treated at Newhall Memorial.

Approximately five county fire engines and a paramedic responded to the scene.

Thompson added that a medical unit was set up to treat injuries.

Blowers were set up around the perimeter of the building and ventilation units in the roof were opened to clear the warehouse of smoke.

Comments

Commenting not available.
Commenting is not available.

 
 

Powered By
Morris Technology
Please wait ...