View Mobile Site
 

Ask the Expert

Signal Photos

 

No. 590 Lang

HISTORY

Posted: November 24, 2013 2:00 a.m.
Updated: November 24, 2013 2:00 a.m.
 

The historic marker No. 590 on Soledad Canyon Road - 0.4 mi S of State Highway 14, Shadow Pines Blvd, and 4. 7 miles east Canyon Country – is a designated a state of California historic site.

The area was once known as the town of Lang – named for Cattle rancher John Lang who built the small town. Lang had a bustling train depot, known as Lang Station. Today all that marks the site is the state’s historic marker.

But on September 5, 1876, Charles Crocker, president of the Southern Pacific Company, drove a gold spike here to complete his company’s San Joaquin Valley line.

The event marked the first rail connection of Los Angeles with San Francisco and transcontinental lines.

Crocker, by the way, was also reportedly of Crocker Bank fame. The San Francisco-based bank was acquired by Wells Fargo in 1986. Ironically, Crocker was once the controlling shareholder of Wells Fargo in 1869 and served as president of that bank.

Although Crocker drove the gold spike, he and three other investors initially formed Central Pacific Railroad. In 1868, the men acquired control of Southern Pacific which built the westernmost portion of the second transcontinental railroad.

One of those partners, was Leland Stanford - former California Governor and the man for whom Stanford University is named after.

Comments

Commenting not available.
Commenting is not available.

 
 

Powered By
Morris Technology
Please wait ...