View Mobile Site
 

Ask the Expert

Signal Photos

 

Death Valley rescue effort launched from local historic site

HISTORY

Posted: November 3, 2013 2:00 a.m.
Updated: November 3, 2013 2:00 a.m.
 

Rancho San Francisco is no. 556 on California’s Historical Landmarks list.

Located on the southwest corner of The Old Road and Henry Mayo Drive, just off the Interstate 5 freeway and State Highway 126, the site – which sits one-half mile south of the designated site - was the adobe headquarters of Rancho San Francisco.

The ranch and property was a 48,612 acre land grant made by then Governor Juan B. Alvarado to Antonio del Valle, a Mexican army officer, in recognition for his service to the state of “Alta California.”

Alta California was created in 1769 was territory passed to American control after the Mexican-American war and ceased to exist altogether with the creation of the state of California in 1850.

In present day, Rancho San Francisco was part of what today is northwestern Los Angeles County and eastern Ventura County between Santa Clarita and Piru. It also extended into the surrounding mountains.

Originally built about 1804 as a granary of Mission San Fernando, the rancho was granted to Antonio de Valle in 1839.

In January 1850, William Lewis Manly and John Rogers obtained supplies and animals to rescue their comrades in a California-bound gold-seeking emigrant party that was stranded and starving in Death Valley, some 250 miles to the northeast.

 

Comments

Commenting not available.
Commenting is not available.

 
 

Powered By
Morris Technology
Please wait ...