View Mobile Site
 

Ask the Expert

Signal Photos

 

UPDATE: Lake Los Angeles home withdrawn as site for serial rapist

Posted: November 1, 2013 12:29 p.m.
Updated: November 1, 2013 7:11 p.m.
 

Public outrage has blocked the release of a serial rapist into an Antelope Valley neighborhood, county officials said Friday.

The landlord of a Lake Los Angeles single-family home that was approved as a residence for Christopher Hubbart, 62, withdrew his house from consideration after protests over the choice.

“This is a significant victory,” said county Supervisor Michael D. Antonovich. “However, the fight is not over.

“Another Los Angeles County community may still be identified by the state (as a home for Hubbart), which will start this process all over again.”

Antonovich led a rally against the Lake Los Angeles home as suitable for Hubbart, who has spent nearly two decades in a state mental hospital and previously admitted to raping 38 women in California between 1971 and 1982.

He is among more than 500 offenders in the state who have been confined under a law that allows authorities to commit sexually violent predators to state hospitals if they are deemed to have mental disorders that make them likely to re-offend, even if they have already served their entire prison sentences.

Earlier this year, Judge Gilbert Brown granted Hubbart’s conditional release and rejected arguments that he should be released in the San Francisco Bay Area, where his most recent crimes were committed.

In August, the California Supreme Court denied Los Angeles County’s appeal to stop his release and his specific relocation to the county, where he grew up.

 

 

Comments

Commenting not available.
Commenting is not available.

 
 

Powered By
Morris Technology
Please wait ...